The Gam3r's Code
Gam3rCon is a community event and convention, a place for gamers by gamers, and should always feel like a safe and welcoming! In order to ensure this safe and fun environment for our attendees, speakers, exhibitors, and NPCs Gam3rCon has created the Gam3r's Code. These eight principles are described in detail here, along with other Gam3rCon policies, including rules for Promotional Models and Cosplay safety standards.
If at any point you feel unsafe at Gam3rCon or that any of these rules have been broken, we ask that you inform one of our NPCs or Gam3rCon staff immediately. Your safety is our primary concern, and if you feel that safety has been compromised, we will do everything in our power to rectify the issue. Issues of violence and harassment are addressed immediately, with guarded “Safe Areas” being designated in case any incidents do arise.
If you need special assistance or have a specific safety/security concern please refer to our FAQ or Contact Us.
No Combat Drugs
- Illegal substances will not be tolerated at Gam3rCon. If you are caught buying, using or dealing illegal drugs while at the show, remediation steps will be taken. If you are under the influence of legal drugs and are in any way interfering with other attendees and their ability to enjoy Gam3rCon, we reserve the right to escort you from the premises with potentially even more severe remediation consequences.
- Illegal substances or illegal drugs: Any drug which is not legally obtained as defined by local laws. Any prescribed medication that has not been legally obtained; any prescribed medication not being used in its intended dosage or for its intended purpose; any over-the-counter medication being used at a dosage level other than the recommended manufacturer levels.
- Any violation of said rule with illegal substances while at Gam3rCon will have one or more of the following steps taken: On-site security and police will be notified in accordance with California State Law and governing procedures, badges will be revoked, violators will be removed from the premises, and a ban on future shows will be given.
- Anyone found consuming alcohol outside of regulated areas will be asked to leave the premises immediately.
- Anyone whose alcohol consumption is found to be negatively impacting the enjoyment of the show of others will be asked to leave the premises immediately with the possibility of badge removal and a ban from future events.
- Any and all information relating to drug or alcohol abuse or the identification of persons as users of drugs and alcohol will be treated by Gam3rCon as confidential unless otherwise required by law, overriding public health and safety concerns, or authorized by the parties in question.
No Use of the Pick Pocketing Skill
- Theft will not be tolerated at Gam3rCon. If you are caught stealing directly from another individual or taking items from any private or public areas of Gam3rCon that are not expressly indicated to be free, remediation steps will be taken.
- Theft: Any crime in which a person intentionally or fraudulently takes personal property of another entity without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker’s use, including potential sale.
- Property: Includes any money or items owned by an entity. Property shall be regarded as belonging to any person or entity having in it any proprietary right or interest.
- All instances of theft while at Gam3rCon will result in one or more of the following: On-site security and police will be contacted with the intent of prosecution in accordance with all state laws and governing procedures, revoking of badge, ban on future shows.
Leave all Violence Virtual
- Violence will not be tolerated at Gam3rCon. Gam3rCon adheres to the firm conviction that every person is entitled to an expectation of health and safety will take action to make that expectation a reality. Violating that expectation of safety through violence or threats of violence perpetrated against another person is explicitly prohibited and will result in removal and remediation.
- Violence: Any act of aggression, physical assault or threatening behavior that occurs against a person or property.
- Incidents of violence are documented using our harassment incident reporting form, completed by NPCs or Gam3rCon staff, whichever the complainant is comfortable with. Although a form will be filled out for all incidents, it is optional (albeit encouraged) for the complainant to go on record with their report.
- Anyone who engages in violent behavior will be removed from Gam3rCon, have their badge revoked, and be given a permanent ban to the show. On-site security and police will be notified in accordance with all state laws and governing procedures.
- Any and all information relating to the victims of violence will be treated by Gam3rCon as confidential unless otherwise required by law, overriding public health and safety concerns, or authorized by the parties in question.
This is Not Starcraft, So no Creep
- Any form of harassment, whether that’s based on gender identity/expression, race, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, or religion, will not be tolerated at Gam3rCon. If you are caught or reported to have harassed anyone at Gam3rCon, you will go through our reporting process and face remediation steps.
- Harassment: Verbal, physical, psychological, or sexual abuse.
- Sexual Harassment: The following actions are considered inappropriate and may be considered sexual harassment.
- Teasing, jokes, innuendo, photos/images, gestures of a sexual/unwanted nature.
- Touching or grabbing of a sexual nature.
- Repeatedly standing too close to or brushing up against a person.
- Giving gifts of a sexual/unwanted nature
- Physical Harassment: Physical contact in an unwanted way toward another individual.
- Psychological Harassment: Unwarranted hostile behavior, threats, or intimidation made toward another individual.
- Harassment incidents are documented using our harassment incident reporting form, completed by either NPCs, Security Team members or Gam3rCon staff, whichever the complainant is comfortable with. Although a form will be filled out for all incidents, it is optional (albeit encouraged) for the complainant to go on record with their report.
- Anyone who engages in harassment will be removed from Gam3rCon premises immediately, have their badge revoked, and be given a permanent ban to the show. On-site security and police will be notified in accordance with all state laws and governing procedures.
- Any and all information relating to the victims of harassment will be treated by Gam3rCon as confidential unless otherwise required by law, overriding public health and safety concerns, or authorized by the parties in question.
Don't Count the Cards
- Cheating will not be tolerated at Gam3rCon. Everyone is expected to abide by all rules and regulations when gaming or competing with each other.
- Cheating: Deliberate dishonesty or fraudulent actions intended to provide an unfair advantage in a competitive setting.
- Anyone caught cheating will be immediately disqualified from all competitive events at the show. Severe and repeated cases will result in one or more of the following: Revoking of badge, ban on future shows.
Don't Touch Me Treasures
- It is understood that all attendees will be able to operate in a state of comfort and privacy without intrusion or disturbance, and that their personal belongings will not be altered or disturbed. If anyone’s belongings are found to have been disturbed or restricted, remediation will take place.
- Privacy: A state of being free from intrusion and disturbance in one’s personal state of affairs as well as physical presence.
- Personal Belongings: Includes any items owned by an entity.
- Anyone who engages in behavior or that violates the privacy intentions as stated above will be reprimanded and have their badge removed contingent on the severity of the claim as reported to Gam3rCon staff.
No Unattended Minions
- We at Gam3rCon host family friendly events, but our staff is not equipped to keep track of children. Our NPCs and Gam3rCon Staff will be available to help children find their parents in cases of emergency. However children under the age of 12 should be attended at all times.
- A child is anyone under the the age of 12, possessing a Child's Week long of Day long pass.
- Unattended or lost children will be directed to either our Check-in or staff areas, given Red Bull, Pop-Rocks, Sugar Cubes and taught to play Magic The Gathering and Warhammer 40k. (Hint: neither of those are 'inexpensive hobbies'). In the event of a lost child, they will be kept with staff in one of these two areas will an NPCs or member of Gam3rCon staff seeks out the parents. Severe and repeated cases might result in a revoked badge.
Gam3rCon is all about, community, learning from one another, and gaming. Remember to keep the rules in mind, so everyone can have the best time! Game on!
Gam3rCon's Reporting Procedure for the each of rule of the Gam3r's Code is same . Find an NPC and make them aware of the situation. They are instructed to immediately escalate the issue to show security and Gam3rCon Staff.
Food and Beverage
Gam3rCon is all about Games! From video games to board games, some of our favorite past times are either electronic or have lots of small parts! Please remember to be mindful of any food or drink you might have on either of our floors. Closed beverage containers, suck as water bottles or sport drink bottles, are permitted most everywhere. However open topped drinks, such as soda cans or fast food soft drink cups, are strongly discouraged in most areas. Food and snacks are permitted but keep our beverage rules in mind. Some exhibitors, presenters, panelists, NPCs or Gam3rCon staff might have certain areas of each floor that must remain food and drink free at all times, please follow any signage pertaining to these rules.
In addition some attendees bring their own games, supplies or in some case Miniatures. These are for use in war gaming, new game testing, role playing, or just to have in the Gamer's Lounge. In these case please respect your fellow attendees property at all times. Their rules go.
Leave No Trace
Gam3rCon is a Leave No Trace event. Please remember to use the provided trash and recycling receptacles. NewSchool and The Tenth are gracious enough to host our event, so lets respect their space in return!
Promotional Models Policies
Promotional Models ('Booth Babes') are strongly discouraged, as Gam3rCon strives to maintain the focus on Everything Gamings, while providing a safe and fun environment for all. Promotional Models are defined as ANY staff, of any gender, that are employees to use suggestive or sexual methods to promote a product. Partial nudity, the aggressive display of cleavage and the navel, and shorts/skirts higher than 4” above the knee are highly discouraged. If for any reason an exhibit and/or its contents are deemed objectionable to Gam3rCon Management, the exhibitor will be asked to make alterations.
In addition all representatives of the exhibitor are encouraged to be well informed on the exhibitor’s products and able to answer any questions an attendee might have. This should be a marketing or working level knowledge of the products, games or properties being exhibited.
Cosplayed characters that are playable in any game are an exception to this rule (within reason), and exhibitors/employees are encouraged to express their geeky side, through cosplay. Cosplay that approaches the "Questionable" line will need to be presented to Gam3rCon Management Prior to the Event. Please remember that Gam3rCon is a family friendly event when designing or approving costumes for your staff. Any Cosplay deemed to overtly sexual or objectionable will be asked by Gam3rCon Management to be altered.
Cosplay at Gam3rCon
Gam3rCon is a family friendly event. We encourage Cosplay, but keep in mind the potential audience. Be aware of how close to partial nudity or how overtly sexual costumes might be, as we want this to be a fun and safe environment for all! Gam3rCon realizes how some video game characters look, and we encourage your creativity, just remember the con-goer next to you might be a five years old! If you have concerns about our Cosplay Policies or questions either visit our Cosplay Forum or Contact Us.
Props and armors should be made out of soft materials or the cosplayer needs to be every aware of their surroundings. Full metal armor and props are cool, but carry with them a chance of accidental damage or injury. If you have a question or concern about a prop or piece of armor check our Cosplay Forum or Contact Us. In some cases if an NPC or Gam3rCon staff feel a prop or piece of armor might case damage or injury we will store the item for you until it is needed for photographs or contests.
All prop weapons brought to Gam3rCon, as part of your Cosplay must be approved at the Check-in Booth as soon as you arrive. With our history in both Stage and Film we can appreciate a well made prop weapon, but here are a few guidelines:
It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns and or Airsoft Guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
Airsoft weapons, must have two easily visible strips of neon safety tape, or be painted with safety strips. One around the tip of the barrel and one securing the magazine. In addition in some case our staff might use zip ties to secure or block triggers. Tampering with or removing any of these safety measure while at Gam3rCon will lead to confiscation of the airsoft weapon until the end of the show on Sunday July 24th. Gam3rCon Management has experience with Airsoft weapons and in some cases Airsoft Company employees will be on the premises, so be aware we are just as familiar as you are with these props.
It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a wooden Master Sword holding a non blunted tip). As we have more than a few LARP players, prop weapons approved for use in games such as Vampire or Dystopia Rising are perfect example of safe melee weapon props.
Upon Approval, your props or weapons will be cataloged and registered to your badge.